Monday, August 22, 2011

What's Bugging You (really!)


Seems like everyone is freaking out these days.

But the true cause isn't always politics. Negative emotions can offer important information if you can recognize the underlying problem. And so often the real cause isn't what we think it is.

Last night I had an anxious dream about my business. I entered a state of mind I call the "Doom Zone." This is the alternate reality where one is destined to FAIL.
The "Doom Zone" feels very real, and very serious.
The Buddhist nun Pema Chodron uses the Tibetan term "Shempa" to describe this state. Another popular term is "Discursive Mind". No matter what you call it, it isn't fun.

The good news is, once you are able to recognize this state for what it is, it loses it's power. Better still if you can let go of the storyline that's running through your head (usually something like "Everything Sucks") and recognize the underlying problem.

Once I let go of the doom and examined how I felt physically, I realized my anxiety was due to stomach irritation caused by an Advil I took earlier. A little aloe vera to cool my guts and morning meditation relaxed my brain and I'm a happy camper again.

Steps to uncovering the cause of your DOOM

1. Recognize your state of mind.

2. Become willing to question if the cause is what you think it is.

3. Touch into your body and emotions for clues about the real source. Are you experiencing any unrecognized pain? Are you hungry? Sleepy? Overworked? Have you been following the news too closely?

For more detailed instructions on this process, check out the book Loving What Is by Byron Katie

Common hidden causes for anxiety include nutrient deficiencies, food sensitivities, liver issues and hormone imbalances. Lab tests and support from health professionals such as myself are very helpful in these cases.

If you would like to read stories about how my clients have benefitted from these services, click HERE.

If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area or Central Valley, check out upcoming Kombucha, Pickling and other cooking classes HERE.

Best wishes,
Ilah Jarvis Nutrition Consultant

No comments: